Pages

Sunday, May 28, 2017

EXO-CBX debut: "Hey Mama" and The 1st Mini Album




Hello Kpoppers of the Vast Universe.

This is another installment of the huge comebacks and debuts we saw last fall. This is one is geared to EXO-Ls! Did everyone see EXO-CBX's debut? Of course ya did. Why even ask? :>

Image result for exo cbx
Left to Right: Baekhyun, Xiumin, Chen
Picture: https://www.soompi.com/2016/11/08/quiz-exo-cbx-member-soulmate/


I was surprised to hear that there would be another subunit of EXO after EXO K and M. But I like that they are showing different sides of their performances and voices. Let me rewind. The members of the sub-unit include Chen, Baekhyun, and Xiumin. Two main (or well-known I would say) vocals and a backing vocal (I don't mean to offend Xiumin Stans, I just think that Baekhyun and Chen get more lines and singing sections than Xiumin).

The title song "Hey Mama" was very upbeat and reminiscent of summer fun, although you could say it would be more of fall fun because of the camping vibe going on in the music video. The music video was very fun and displayed some cool dance moves from the three members. The break out of office work into playtime seems to be a repeating pattern for SM artists (e.i. Super Junior M or Red Velvet even...). It seemed muted with darker colors like black and browns, but then seemed more colorful towards the end. The music was interesting to listen to, hearing the blend of EXO with only three members, especially hearing Xiumin and Baekhyun rapping. Boy was that cool. The vocals are awesome as always and we even get to hear more from Xiumin that during most of EXO songs, so I was excited to hear more from him. The song is has a great beat and if you don't know the words it is addictive enough to follow along.



Related image
http://www.kpopstarz.com/articles/274479/20161023/
exo-releases-teaser-for-chen-baekhyun-and-xiumin-subunit.htm
So then the first song from the mini album was "The One", which I have to say sounds really good!~ Hearing Baekhyun's deep voice at the beginning surprised me, it kept me engaged from start to finish. Xiumin and Baekearhyun's rap is just, every time I hear it just shocks me because we are so used to hear the strong vocals from the trio in EXO that it is refreshing! I love hearing the cute back-and-forth chatter during the song, it gives a go break to the listeners and shows their teamwork and playfulness.

"Rhythm After Sun" has a lot of English words in the song that I had to rewind the song for a second take because I had to make sure it was English and I wasn't just hearing sounds that sounded like English! Baekhyun's line "You are my rhythm" got me, giving me a little heart squeeze! I the song sounds great, feeling like I should be taking this song and listening to it while sunbathing or something.

"Juliet" is a sweet, upbeat song that allows the boys to sing a spring/fall song and sing about their "Juliet". It was a cute song that I could see as a background song while walking with your boyfriend or girlfriend. It's a good song.

Then finally we have "Cherish". I got excited when I thought it was going to be a ballad within the first 5 seconds of the song, but then felt a little disappointed when it was another cheery dance/pop song. Although the song has great vocals, it has a beat that feels like a finale is coming, which of course fits the album because it is at the end of the mini album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOzVyVv1HtQ



Again, I know this is a bit late, but I wanted to continue reviewing these albums so that we can look back and see what was coming out, or see what we missed.

Is there an album you want me to review? What did you think of EXO's new sub-unit CBX? Wanting to see other sub-units? Let me know in the comments!

Until next time my Kpoppers of the Universe!

~Andie

No comments:

Post a Comment